Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12/14 Interview at Children's Hospital of Michigan

Internship Site:    Children's Hospital of Michigan
Major Rotations: Neuropsychology/Outpatient (6 mos.)
                             Pediatric Psychology/Inpatient (6 mos.)
Special Stuff: 3 month rotation in rehabilitation of kids with spinal cord injuries, ability to supervise less advanced graduate students.  




My interview was from 8-1 pm today. I met with three different faculty members for an hour each and then had lunch with two of the current interns. The faculty members were all very nice and the interview was conversational in tone. There were no bizarre/"gotcha" questions (as Sarah Palin would say), and only one clinical scenario asking me what else I would want to know and how I would approach the case. Luckily, the case presented was a kid with diabetes so I was golden!

One of the interviewers asked me what I would do if I didn't match again this year. I told him that I didn't know, that it would be really hard to get so close to graduation and not make it all the way. I didn't end up answering the question really because I don't know what I'll do, but I also am not going to dwell on it!

The interns said that they were very happy with their training so far and could not come up with one thing they did not like. The interns live in Royal Oak which would be awesome. I love that area and I would be able to hang with my classmate Darren!

I am really feeling the work of the last year is paying off ten-fold. The psychologists I met with were all impressed with my experience and the fact that I had sought out the experience in DC this year. I also felt pretty confident about the interviews themselves because I've been there before. It's strange talking to the other interviewees all of whom, at least today, were applying for the first time.

I am waiting in Detroit for my flight to DC, which has a layover in Atlanta (yes, Atlanta). Since Atlanta is extremely foggy and is now getting storms, the flights are grounded there. My flight is two hours late already...... It's going to be a LOOOONGGG day of work tommorrow! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment