Friday, January 15, 2010

1/15 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)

Internship Site: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
Major Rotations: Pediatric Psychology
Special Stuff: Primary Care work, Community Work, Opportunity for advocacy/policy work, Systems integration is a major focus
Downsides: Might not get enough neuropsychology experience


I had two very important interviews in a row, so after Kennedy Krieger I was prepared for CHOP. A student from my program, Meghan, is currently working as staff at the hospital and did her internship there so I had an "in" for this one. I drove out to Philly with my friend Lauren, who I had met earlier during my interview in Minneapolis. We stayed at the Hyatt as my current roommate works there and gets great deals. The hotel was awesome but we forgot about the extra "perks" included in expensive hotels: $27 a day parking, and $10 a day for internet. Now, this is a mini soap box speech here but why do cheaper hotels provide these services for free but not expensive hotels? 

Anyway, Lauren and I had dinner with Meghan at a crepes restaurant. She gave us some info on CHOP and some hints and advice. Meghan is probably one of the more successful students from my program which is a great thing for me as it makes our program look really good! She loves it in Philly and has been there for the last three years I believe. This interview started with a general overview of the program, then a "meet the faculty" breakfast, followed by two individual interviews. I really hate the receptions that some of the programs have. There is so much pressure to meet as many people as possible and in order to do that you have to interrupt other students talking to faculty. I feel like I'm on The Bachelor vying for private time with the guy and cat-fighting with the other contestants. I am not one to "mingle" really so this is always a tough thing for me to do. 


Anyway, during the reception I spoke with the faculty member who works in the Thoracic Organ Transplant Program, which involved children who have heart and/or lung problems. Psychologists help kids with the transplant process and help trouble-shoot any problems during that time. This is a unique program and I would be excited to be involved. Some of the other programs that look great are Behavioral Health in Schools Initiative and Violence Prevention Programs. They both involve working in the community and providing prevention or treatment services. 

One of the coolest parts of the day was when I heard that one of the interns has put together a public policy program for himself in which he will be involved in making changes in government policy regarding mental health issues. I spoke with the woman who is in charge of this and she said that I could absolutely put together a project such as that myself. I would probably want to create a policy project within education. I really like this site because of the unique opportunities they have, the wide variety of rotations, the opportunity to work with world leaders in various medical disciplines, and of course the fact that it is a pretty prestigious program.


I didn't get to take any pictures for some reason so you'll have to imagine it in your head!

No comments:

Post a Comment