Monday, February 22, 2010

And I'm moving to......

Benvinidos a Miami, Florida! (I keep singing the Will Smith song for those of you who know it). I matched with my #5 choice, the Mailman Center for Child Development.  The track is working with kids with cancer, which will be challenging. I also found out that a girl from D.C. that I work with right now is going to be in the same program with me next year so it will be nice to know someone! It's farther than I really wanted to move but after having 3 feet of snow this winter I could be ready for a 70 degree winter! I told my dad that I was moving closer to him but as it turns out, Miami is only one hour closer to Atlanta than D.C. is, haha!

I am pretty surprised because it was a lower pick than I thought I would get. It looks like this year, four out of five applicants (81%) were matched to their top 3 choices and 5% were matched to their 5th choice. I really know how to beat the odds apparently, someone should take me to Vegas. :)

I am going to keep updating this blog as I get ready to move and as I settle in Miami so keep checking back for updates!

Here are some interesting statistics that show how difficult it is to get an internship right now.

Applicants Participating in the Match             3,669

Applicants Matched                                      2,823  (77%)

Participating Applicants Not Matched                846  (23% of students did not match this year)

Match Results by Rank Number on Applicant's List:
(percentages may not total to 100 due to rounding errors)

      Rank              Number of Applicants

        1                   1,295  (46%)
        2                     614  (22%)
        3                     373  (13%)
        4                     201  ( 7%)
        5                     135  ( 5%)
        6                      80  ( 3%)
        7                      52  ( 2%)
        8                      25  ( 1%)
        9                      14  ( 0%)
       10 or higher            34  ( 1%)

       Total                2,823 (100%)

No comments:

Post a Comment